Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Weird Habits.....maybe too late

I have just noticed that over the holiday (when I was well ensconced in rural Ireland/ culchie-land, I was memed by Colm at In Fact, Ah . Now, I don’t know if it is too late for this, or from whence this practice emerged, but it has given me food for thought, and not to be seen as being a bad sport my habits are listed below. I never realised this about myself but I appear to be the most non-committal human ever!

Firstly, the rules, as lifted from In Fact, Ah are as follows:


The first player of this game starts with the topic “five weird habits of
yourself,” and people who get tagged need to write an entry about their five
weird habits as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose
the next five people to be tagged and link to their web journals. Don’t forget
to leave a comment in their blog or journal that says “You are tagged” (assuming
they take comments) and tell them to read yours.

1. I become obsessed with actors and/or musicians for extended periods of time, and even though they fall out of favour with the meeja and may not be thought of as 'cool' any more, I pretend that I still like them, probably more out of an obscure sense of loyalty than anything else. During the period of obsession I will consume hours upon hours of the artist in question's output (though I use the term "artist" loosely), and then go completely cold-turkey, for years sometimes. For example, I will always have an abiding love for R.E.M., despite the fact that if I were to be honest with myself, their albums without Bill Berry have been less than stellar. Why do I persist?

2. I start courses that I don't finish. After I completed my M.A. back in 1998 I have been forced to trawl the corporate depths, owing to pecuniary difficulties. Since then I have embarked upon a huge variety of professional courses that I thought I would like to pursue as a career, but have all turned out to be quite "meh?" in my estimation.

3. I love to dabble in adventure sports but I refuse to commit to any of them as a long term hobby. Thus far I have managed to try the following: Shotokan Karate (I did this for three years so maybe this one doesn't count?); Marksmanship; Snowboarding; Skiing; Trekking (Not the star variety); scuba diving; canoeing; and Horse Riding. I am sure there are more but I was obviously that non-committal that I forgot.

4. I store things for later use when I know in my heart of hearts that they are, in fact, of no use at all. For instance, I must, at this point, have accrued Europe's largest collection of clothes hangers, despite the fact I would be considered to have a limited supply and variety of clothing. I cannot bring myself to throw them out and in the garage they shall languish for another year. Roll on 2007's New Year resolutions!

5. I spend working hours reading blogs, when in fact I should be, eh, working. That’s not really a habit or trait though, is it? Unless you count avoiding actual work as a trait.

Now , as is the tradition, I tag, and seeing as I am both in work and fairly new I apologise if I’ve memed someone who has already been tagged!

Funkyredcortina
Shane Ryan
Planet potato
Liffeyside
AdamsRants

4 Comments:

Blogger shaner said...

If you were gonna 'tag' me, you probably should have let me know.

Liz rang me earlier letting me in on this.

Probably something to do with the fact you're an REM fan...

...and that

05 January, 2006 16:27  
Blogger Seoman said...

Hey 5 habits up and running

06 January, 2006 09:48  
Blogger Pampooties said...

Sorry!
I forgot the fundamental part of the whole meme thing.

Letting people know!

06 January, 2006 11:07  
Blogger shaner said...

here ya go...

maybe not as weird as you were expecting though ;-D

06 January, 2006 19:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home